Sunday, November 25, 2007

It's the end of the road...

I can't believe the semester is coming to an end already! I feel like we just started this crazy journey into the world of online journalism and now we are done. Well, at least for now!

This semester has brought so many wonderful learning experiences. From learning how to use the illustrious Soundslides, (which I actually never found to be that bad), getting stories up online for the whole world to see and winning the coveted "best online student journalist award," it's been a great semester.

The thing I really loved about this course was being able to tell stories that wouldn't normally have been heard. Case in point- St. Andrew's Clinic. Many people don't even know that it exists or what it does but even less would know about it if it weren't for Borderbeat. The stories, photos and videos that were produced out of that trip were inspiring and eye-opening and I hope that when people read, look at and watch them, they will feel the same way. The experience that I had there was life changing and nothing else in the world could take the place of it.

It has also been amazing to see how a group of 20 people, most of whom didn't know each other before this class, were able to put such a professional piece of journalism together. The writing and the editing that have come from many of the people in our class has been phenominal and I'm extremely proud to have been a part of it. It has been a lot of fun and a great learning experience.

As for my blog, I've enjoyed finding the link between religion and the border because they are so intertwined. My favorite project of the semester was going out to Tumacacori and doing the photo story. The space had such a mystical and haunting feel to it and it was a inspiring day. I would highly recommend heading out to Tumacacori if anyone is interested in early religion or history. The place is full of it and could keep anyone entertained for hours.

My last contribution to Border Belief is a set of links to other blogs or sites that cover the same kind of religion/culture topic that I find so interesting. I hope that you enjoy them and I hope that you have enjoyed reading my blogs.

Adios!


El Amor de Dios hecho Corazon (all in Spanish)
Desert Beliefs- Azstarnet.com
Religion News Blog
Religious Cartoonist
Atheism
Gaul Islam
Appreciation for all faiths

No comments: